Teijin Frontier Co., Ltd. fibers and products converting company, announced today that it has developed a new cotton-like high-performance polyester material for athleisure fashion.
The new material combines the look and texture of cotton with superior properties for moisture absorption, quick drying and UV protection. Notably, the cotton-like features are achieved with polyester filament yarn, not a staple fiber. What’s more, Teijin Frontier’s new material is eco-friendly because it is made with recycled raw materials.
* Technologies incorporated in new fabric
Technologies in proprietary fiber and processed yarn
1. Proprietary fiber maximizes processing effects.
2. Yarn processing technology randomly mixes thick and thin parts in filaments.
3. [Side view of processed yarn] [屋外, 草, 写真, 人 が含まれている画像 高い精度で生成された説明] Complex yarn processing technology achieves cotton-like texture and capillary property.
Technology for knitting
Structure optimization adjusts knitting texture and density to achieve cotton-like look and texture.
Technology for dyeing and processing
Brindle coloring and natural appearance of fibers are maximized due to uneven thicknesses.
* Features of new fabric
– Cotton-like natural look and soft texture.
– Comfortable feel of finely uneven surface.
– Moisture diffusion realized through capillary effect of processed yarn’s structure.
– Reduced discomfort from sweating thanks to surface made with filaments of uneven thicknesses.
– UV protection, thermal insulation and anti-transparency achieved with high-density knitting structure of anti-transparent filament.
– Anti-snagging and wear resistance achieved with high-density knitting structure.
– Polyester fiber made of recycled polymer.
– Filament reduces fluff and fiber shedding.
Teijin Frontier will promote its new cotton-like high-performance polyester fabric as a key product for 2020 autumn / winter sport and outdoor collections and apparel markets including fashion and uniforms. The company is targeting sales of 200,000m in fiscal 2020 and 1,000,000m in fiscal 2022.
The demand highly functional fabrics with pleasing textures is growing in line with the increasing popularity of athleisure fashion and sport/outdoor wearable in daily life. Conventional fabrics for sport and outdoor wear achieve moisture absorption and quick heat reduction, but they are not suitable for daily use due to their unnatural textures. Cotton and cotton-blended fabrics are used commonly, but they are uncomfortable when the wearer perspires due to surface tackiness and the wet fabrics’ cold feel.
About the Teijin Group
Teijin (TSE: 3401) is a technology-driven global group offering advanced solutions in the areas of environmental value; safety, security and disaster mitigation; and demographic change and increased health consciousness. Its main fields of operation are high-performance fibers such as aramid, carbon fibers & composites, healthcare, films, resin & plastic processing, polyester fibers, products converting and IT. The group has over 170 companies and around 20,000 employees spread out over 20 countries worldwide. It posted consolidated sales of JPY888.6 billion (USD 8.1 billion) and total assets of JPY 1020.7 billion (USD 9.3 billion) in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2019.